Thursday, May 5, 2011

On days like these...

There's something to be said for a day filled with likable distractions. There's also something to be said about getting the creative juices purposefully flowing. I had been listening to an interview Kevin Polluck did with Demitri Martin, wherein Demitri said he felt that the closer you get to realizing your dreams, the easier it is to look for an escape of some kind. You feel like you're about to "turn the corner" so to speak and start looking for ways to avoid that fateful step. In my case that would be trying to get published and talking myself out of doing the groundwork for publication because doing other things would be "easier" even if it wasn't what I wanted in my heart.

I don't know if I've turned any corners but usually on days like this, I would just throw up my hands and say "Today is a 'day-off.'" And then I just use the day as an excuse to not write. So I did my best to get something written, even if it was just two pages. That's two less to write at least. And then I remembered that I have this blog I'm trying to make into a routine. I wanted to use time as an excuse but here I am, writing a rather small blog.

Perhaps that's really the root of writer's block. It's less an ability to write, as it is an attempt to do something else that's easier. So I guess the question will truly become: is thinking about self-publishing avoiding the slog of trying to get traditionally published, or is it the best option? That's something to consider.

David Barentine
www.wotps.com

No comments:

Post a Comment